My Family - Ugh!

Another not-so-fun day at my grandmother's house! I love my grandparents dearly, as well as my immediate family (sisters, dad) but the rest of my family... different story! Every family gathering is the same - my family are the outsiders. Why, you may ask? WE DON'T KNOW!! We puzzle over this every single time we have to get together with those people. We just know that is the way it is. They all talk to each other, fuss over the children, etc. My children are blatantly ignored by some, others make small attempts. We can break up a conversation simply by joining - no, wait - simply by sitting there. We all used to be close, but my sisters and I just cannot remember when things changed, or why. There really is not anyone for us to ask, and we don't want to hurt my grandmother's feelings by asking her if she realizes this or knows what is going on. My dad.. well.. I had mentioned something to him about 2 years ago, along the same lines. What does he do? He went and TOLD my aunt that we felt as though she treats us differently. Could he have made things more awkward? Of course, she made minor attempts after that to talk, but nothing major and has since stopped.

My sisters and I will talk to their children, try to play with them, and try to make conversation with some of them. We are easy-going, and we make attempts. We fall short every time, though. I absolutely hate going there, and I know that once my grandparents are not around I will probably NEVER see any of them. It is sad, and I hate that my children are treated differently there. Today, for instance, my sister was attempting to talk to my cousin's 2 yr old and what does my cousin do? She comes and just picks up her daughter and carries her away, without a word to my sister. At another point, she was attempting to talk to my other cousin's son, and he was telling her a nice story about their vacation. What happens? My cousin comes over and just interrupts his son and tells him to go in the house and get his brother. No regard to my sister at all.

I really don't care too much that it is this way, but my sisters and I would love to know the WHY behind this all. None of them are exactly anybody that we would hang out with otherwise, but we would at least like to be able to go to family functions and not feel awkward. We think my grandma senses it, at least, because she hangs around us most of the time when we are there and when only one of us is there (and hence, it is a million times more awkward) she kind of makes us her sidekick. It would just be too awkward of a conversation to have!

I am having a Discovery Toys party next Sunday, and invited the females on that side. Only one RSVP'd (I asked for them to by tomorrow) and the rest have said nothing about it. It will be interesting to see if they show up for it or just feel as though I am not important enough to get an RSVP.

We really try, but you can only try to make conversation with people and be met with a brick wall so many times before you don't want to put yourself through that embarrassment again. I hate holidays!

I know that had nothing to do with TTC, but I really just needed to get this off my chest! :)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment